Advisor Newsletters & Communication
The Gilman Program sends out a Advisor Newsletters via email, which contain information, updates, and related resources. Only those who are registered in our system will receive our newsletters. Click the button below to register an account.
- November 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- Advisor Announcement: Inside U.S. Foreign Policy Virtual Seminar
- October 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- September 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- Announcement: Applications Open for the October 2022 Deadline
- August 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- July 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- June 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- Gilman March 2022 Deadline Awards Announced
- May 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- COVID-19 Travel Advisory Updates
- April 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- March 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- The Forum On Education Abroad – U.S. State Department Briefing On Russia
- State Department Guidance for U.S. Students in Russia
- February 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- The Gilman-DAAD Germany Scholarship
- State Department Guidance for U.S. Students in Ukraine
- Announcement: Applications Open for the March 2022 Deadline
- January 2022 Advisor Newsletter
- Gilman October 2021 Deadline Awards Announced
- December 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- October 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Selection Panelist Interest Form Now Open!
- September 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- August 2021 Advisor Newsletter: October 2021 Deadline Application Open!
- Announcement: We’re Moving to a New Portal!
- Message from Washington July 2021
- Announcement: Advisor Ambassador Program Application Deadline Extended
- July 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Announcement: Gilman Advisor Ambassador Program Application Launch
- June 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Inside U.S. Foreign Policy Virtual Series
- Announcement: Upcoming NAFSA Events
- Announcement: Inside U.S. Foreign Policy Series
- Gilman March 2021 Deadline Awards Announced
- May 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- April 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Announcement: March 2021 Deadline Extended
- March 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Announcement: Application Deadline Extended
- February 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Important Message for Gilman Scholars: New COVID-19 Testing Requirements
- Announcement: Applications Open for the March 2021 Deadline!
- Upcoming USA Study Abroad Webinars with Consular Affairs
- January 2021 Advisor Newsletter
- Gilman October 2020 Deadline Awards Announced
- Advisor Newsletter December 2020
- Gilman Program Updates & Guidance
- Capacity Building Initiatives for Gilman Advisors
- Advisor Newsletter November 2020
- Advisor Newsletter October 2020
- Advisor Newsletter September 2020
- Advisor Announcement: Updates and Accommodations for Gilman Program
- Advisor Announcement: October 2020 Deadline Application Now Open!
- Advisor Newsletter August 2020
- Advisor Newsletter July 2020
- Gilman March 2020 Deadline Awards Announced
- Gilman Program Update June 2020
- Advisor Newsletter April 2020
- Advisor Update: Important Message on Gilman Program Application Review
- Advisor Announcement: Message to Gilman Advisors – Global Level 4 Health Advisory
- Advisor Announcement: Message to Gilman Advisors
- Advisor Announcement: Program Changes, Still Accepting Gilman-McCain Applications, Advisor Directory
- Advisor Newsletter March 2020
- Advisor Announcement: Message from Washington
- Advisor Newsletter February 2020
- Advisor Newsletter January 2020
- Advisor Announcement: March 2020 Deadline Application Now Open!
Tune in to hear more about the scholarship program from Gilman staff, alumni, and advisors. See the Events page for upcoming events.
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Advisor Ambassador Dr. Maggie Mahoney supports and advises students at the University of Houston in writing the Building Mutual Understanding and Follow-on Service Project Proposal essays.
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Campus Advisors support and advise students studying Critical Need Languages. Featured Advisors from Connecticut College are:
- Dr. Amy Dooling (Dean of Strategic and Global Initiatives, Gilman Advisor Ambassador)
- Dr. Laura Little (Director of the Global Learning Lab)
- Melissa Ryan (Director, Walter Commons for Global Study and Engagement)
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Advisors support and advise STEM students. The featured advisor is from Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Ashlee Toomey-Flinn (Education Abroad Advisor)
This presentation highlights the ways Gilman Advisor Ambassador Tammy Gibbs supports and advises Community College students. The featured advisor from Madison College.
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Advisors support and advise students who plan on participating in virtual international programs and internships. The featured advisors are from University of Maryland.
- Maria Barra (Program Management Specialist, Short-term Programs)
- Conrad Zeutenhorst (Advisor)
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Advisors support and advise students at Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs) who face unique barriers when it comes to studying abroad. The featured advisors are from University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
- Alan Earhart, PhD (Director International Programs & Partnerships)
- Lizette Galvan, MA (International Programs Specialist)
This Gilman Advisor Panel features three HBCU advisors who share their knowledge and experiences with the higher education community to commemorate the HBCU White House Initiative. The Initiative is committed to continuing to leverage our platform to provide meaningful experiences for the HBCU field.
- Dr. Nneka Nora Osakwe, Director of International Education and Professor of English at Albany State University
- Dr. Pamala Heard, Director of Honors Student Services and Activities at Jackson State University
- Ms. Maraina Montgomery, Assistant Director for Study Abroad at Howard University
Click on the image to left to access the recording. September 25, 2020
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Campus Advisors support and advise rural students. Featured advisors from Western Kentucky University:
- Katherine Hale (Study Abroad Advisor, Study Abroad & Global Learning)
- Lindsey Houchin (Coordinator, Nationally Competitive Opportunities-Office of Scholar Development)
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Campus Advisors support and advise Black students. The featured advisors for this webinar are:
- Rokhaya Fall (Coordinator of Study Abroad & International Student Services, Data Analyst – Spelman College)
- Tom Martinek (Associate Director of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs – UNC Greensboro)
- Heidi Bretz (Assistant Director of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs – UNC Greensboro)
This webinar highlights the ways Gilman Advisors support and advise student veterans who face unique barriers when it comes to studying abroad. The featured advisors from University of South Florida for this webinar are:
- Lauren Bartshe-Hanlen (Assistant Director, Office of National Scholarships)
- Lauren Roberts (Assistant Scholarship Advisor)
These workshops provide advisors with key program information campus, promotion, and advising methods to help support applicants in submitting competitive essays. See the Events page for upcoming advisor workshops.
Gilman Alumni Ambassador Program
Gilman Alumni Ambassadors serve as official representatives of the U.S. Department of State’s Gilman International Scholarship Program and are trained to provide testimonials about their Gilman Scholarship experiences at campus presentations and offer application tips via written articles, videos, webinars, and special events. See if there is an alumni ambassador near you!