Gilman Terms and Conditions Contract
All Gilman Scholarship recipients are required to read through the Terms and Conditions Contract and understand the terms of accepting their Gilman Scholarship. The Gilman Program recommends you keep a copy of the Terms and Conditions Contract while you are abroad so you can reference this information when necessary.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must be a U.S. Citizen and provide appropriate documentation to show their citizenship.
Proof of Citizenship
You must upload a legible copy of one of the following documents:
- U.S. Passport (photo page, Passport cannot be expired);
- U.S. Passport Card (Passport Card cannot be expired);
- U.S. Birth Certificate;
- Certificate of U.S. Naturalization;
- Certification of Birth Abroad as U.S. Citizen.
Important: All uploaded files must be of good quality and completely legible. Illegible files will delay the completion and approval of your award documentation, as well as receipt of your scholarship funds.
Acceptance Letter into Study Abroad Program
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must upload a copy of the official acceptance letter received from the study abroad program or host institution. Please review the guidelines below for your study abroad acceptance letter:
Acceptance Letter Guidelines
Letter must be addressed to you with your first and last name;
Letter must be in English;
Letter must identify your study abroad program, host country and dates and/or academic term of study;
Letter must be signed by the composer of the letter, which should be a representative from your program provider or an administrator from your host institution.
If the official study abroad acceptance letter you received does not meet one of the criteria listed above, please have your study abroad advisor compose a letter containing all of the information required to prove your acceptance.
Other Possible Forms of Acceptance
- Email Notification: If you received your official notification of acceptance via email you will save the original message as a document or print and scan to save as a .jpg, .gif, or .pdf file in order to upload into your Gilman online award documentation. Please note that the document must contain the entire email message and meet the requirements listed above.
- Website: If you received your official notification of acceptance through your account on the program provider’s website, you can either take a screenshot of the page in its entirety and save as a document or print the screen view and scan to save as a .jpg, .gif, or .pdf file in order to upload into your Gilman online award documentation.
Important: The Gilman Program will not accept nomination or conditional letters as proof of acceptance. Nomination and conditional letters are not an official acceptance. Nomination letters are provided by your home institution nominating you to the host country institution. Admission is contingent upon approval by the host institution. Conditional letters do not provide full proof of acceptance as acceptance is conditional upon further action by you.
International Health Insurance Coverage
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must have adequate international health insurance (in countries of study) in order to receive their scholarship funds. In many cases, this will be provided by your home institution or study abroad provider. Your insurance plan should cover you internationally for the following:
Health Insurance Guidelines
Your health insurance must include:
Accident & Sickness Medical Expenses
Emergency Medical Evacuation
Repatriation of Remains
Official letter with name, coverage dates and summary of coverage
ID card with name, dates of coverage, AND
description of benefits
Important: All uploaded files must be of good quality and completely legible. Illegible files will delay the completion of your award documentation and receipt of your scholarship funds.
Important: Your regular U.S. health insurance company may not provide sufficient travel-related coverage, and Medicare/Medicaid doesn’t cover services outside of the U.S.
The Gilman Scholarship Program and U.S. Department of State require that all Gilman Scholars register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). The STEP was formerly known as “Travel Registration” or “Registration with Embassies” and allows recipients to receive the latest travel updates and information via email.
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must upload, via Gilman’s online portal, an official transcript from their currently enrolled institution. Your current transcript must include your “in progress” term and/or the completed term before your Gilman Application. If this is your first academic term at your current institution you will need to submit an official enrollment verification letter, including your name, academic courses, issued from your registrar’s office or from your study abroad office in place of your home institution transcript.
If you have any questions regarding the submission of your transcript(s), please see our Transcript Tips or contact us immediately to ensure you are able to submit them by the award documentation deadline.
Pell Grant Confirmation
Gilman Scholarship recipients who do not already have Pell Grant status confirmation from their financial aid advisor must provide proof of receiving a Pell Grant during the term of application or term of study abroad. Official documentation from the Financial Aid Office, such as financial aid award letter or package, is acceptable and should include the institution name, student name, and date/term of Pell Grant.
Veterans Status Confirmation
Recipients that indicated that they are a veteran in the application will be asked to upload a copy of their DD214 Form.
Scholarship Payment Information
All Gilman Scholarship recipients will have scholarship funds directly deposited into their personal bank account.
Funds will be sent directly to Gilman recipient‘s email address via IIePay electronic deposit, 3-4 weeks from approval of award documentation.
Complete a one-time registration via Zelle, the payment service facilitating IIePay payments. Email address on file with IIE must match the information provided when registering for Zelle.
- You can find additional details about the process and FAQs here. You can also find additional resources in our Pre-departure Toolkit.
- Note that Gilman funds can only be transferred to a U.S. checking account.
- IIEpay will use the primary email address provided in your Gilman online system for payment notifications. If you need to change your email address on record with the Gilman Program, please notify your Gilman advisor immediately.
- Upon submission and approval of all required documentation, you will receive an email from Bank of America (email@example.com) alerting you that your payment is available. Please add the email above to your contacts list so that the notification email is not send to a spam or junk folder.
- Click the “Register to Accept Payment” link directing you to the Zelle website. Follow the instructions to register your U.S. bank account. DO NOT register with Zelle until you receive the notification that the funding transfer is available
- Upon receiving the confirmation email that you have registered with Zelle through your bank, you must verify your account via your email address (not telephone number).
- Your first payment should appear in your account within 1 business day, although in some cases, it can take up to 3 business days.
- You must register within 14 days of receiving the notification of funds transfer email from Bank of America. After 14 days, your payment will expire.
Arrival confirmation(due after arrival in country)
Gilman Scholars are required to inform the Gilman Program that they have safely arrived in their study abroad location within 72 hours of arrival. Additionally, you must provide updated contact information while abroad, including an accurate address, phone number and email address so we may contact you directly in the case of an emergency. Log into your Gilman Account to complete these updates.
For those of you on programs of eight weeks or longer, we will reach out to you in the middle of your program to hear about your experiences. No matter how long your program, we enjoy hearing from you. If you have any feedback about your experience, either positive or negative, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
If you are contacted by U.S. embassies, consulates, EducationUSA advising centers or Fulbright Commissions about opportunities while you are abroad, we encourage to attend. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet new people in your host country and build your professional network. Please be sure to respond to these invitations whether or not you are able to go.
Safety and Health Support Abroad
To keep you safe and healthy while you are travelling on your study abroad program, Gilman is partnering with International SOS, the world’s leading medical and travel security services company.
- The International SOS benefits for Gilman scholars include 24/7 consultation and referral access for general questions and phone consultations as well as up to 5 counselling appointments (phone or in-person when available) at no cost. You are already registered for this service, and will just need to provide your name and your status as a Gilman scholar to utilize these services.
- Visit https://www.internationalsos.com/locations for contact information to the center closest to you.
- Log-in to your Gilman online portal to find your Gilman membership ID and email from the Gilman program.
- In addition to referral resources, we are also partnering with International SOS to support scholars in the event of an emergency. You will need to register your trip through the MyTrip feature:
- 1: Create your one time MyTrip profile through the dedicated Gilman program URL. The information you will need to add is your name, email address, phone number, and select the Gilman program from the drop-down menu provided.
- 2: Once your MyTrip profile is set up, forward your flight booking(s) to: ExchangeTravel@itinerary.internationalsos.com
Download the International SOS App!
- One-click dialing to the closest International SOS Assistance Center
- Mobile-friendly medical and travel security information
- The latest medical and travel security alerts
- Favorite country content for navigation to your most used information