GILMAN TERMS AND CONDITIONS CONTRACT
All Gilman Scholarship recipients are required to read through the Terms and Conditions Contract and understand the terms of accepting their Gilman Scholarship. The Gilman Program recommends you keep a copy of the Terms and Conditions Contract while you are abroad so you can reference this information when necessary.
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must be a U.S. Citizen and provide appropriate documentation to show their citizenship.
You must upload a legible copy of one of the following documents:
- U.S. Passport (photo page, Passport cannot be expired);
- U.S. Passport Card (Passport Card cannot be expired);
- U.S. Birth Certificate;
- Certificate of U.S. Naturalization; and
- Certification of Birth Abroad as U.S. Citizen.
Important: All uploaded files must be of good quality and completely legible. Illegible files will delay the completion and approval of your award documentation, as well as receipt of your scholarship funds.
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must upload a copy of the official acceptance letter received from the study abroad program or host institution. Please review the guidelines below for your study abroad acceptance letter:
Letter must be addressed to you with your first and last name;
Letter must be in English;
Letter must identify your study abroad program, host country and dates and/or academic term of study;
Letter must be signed by the composer of the letter, which should be a representative from your program provider or an administrator from your host institution.
If the official study abroad acceptance letter you received does not meet one of the criteria listed above, please have your study abroad advisor or representative of your program compose a letter containing all of the information required to prove your acceptance.
Other Possible Forms of Acceptance
- Email Notification: If you receive your official notification of acceptance via email, you can save the original message as a document, or print and scan, uploading as a .jpg, .gif. or .pdf into your Gilman online account. Please note that the document must include your full name, identify the program and host location, and include the dates or academic term of your program. Your upload should contain the entire email message, including the “To,” “From” and “Subject” fields. We will not accept the text copied and pasted into a Word document.
- Website: If you received your official notification of acceptance through your account on the program provider’s website, you can either take a screenshot of the page in its entirety and save as a document or print the screen view and scan to save as a .jpg, .gif, or .pdf file in order to upload into your Gilman online award documentation.
Important: The Gilman Program will not accept nomination or conditional letters as proof of acceptance. Nomination and conditional letters are not an official acceptance. Nomination letters are provided by your home institution nominating you to the host country institution. Admission is contingent upon approval by the host institution. Conditional letters do not provide full proof of acceptance as acceptance is conditional upon further action by you.
The Gilman Scholarship Program and U.S. Department of State require that all Gilman Scholars register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). The STEP was formerly known as “Travel Registration” or “Registration with Embassies” and allows recipients to receive the latest travel updates and information via email.
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must upload, via Gilman’s online portal, an official transcript from their currently enrolled institution. Your current transcript must include your “in progress” term and/or the completed term before your Gilman Application.
If you have any questions regarding the submission of your transcript(s), please see our Transcript Tips or contact us immediately to ensure you are able to submit them by the award documentation deadline.
Gilman Scholarship recipients who do not already have their Pell Grant status (or Title IV federal financial aid status for Gilman-McCain recipients) confirmed by their financial aid advisor must provide proof of receiving a Pell Grant either during the term of application or term of their program abroad (or both). This can include a financial aid award letter or package, printout/screen shot from your online account, or a letter from a financial aid office representative. Acceptable documents include:
- Full student name;
- Home institution name;
- Indication of type federal financial aid received; and
- Date or term receiving federal financial aid.
All Gilman Scholarship recipients must have adequate international health insurance (in countries of study) in order to receive their scholarship funds. In many cases, this will be provided by your home institution or study abroad provider. Your insurance plan should cover you internationally for the following:
Health Insurance Guidelines
Your health insurance must include:
Accident & Sickness Medical Expenses
Emergency Medical Evacuation
Repatriation of Remains
Official letter with name, coverage dates and summary of coverage
ID card with name, dates of coverage, AND
description of benefits
Important: All uploaded files must be of good quality and completely legible. Illegible files will delay the completion of your award documentation and receipt of your scholarship funds.
Important: Your regular U.S. health insurance company may not provide sufficient travel-related coverage, and Medicare/Medicaid doesn’t cover services outside of the U.S.