Find the Right Program
Visit the USA Study Abroad Resource Page and ECA’s Exchange Program Finder to help you search for the appropriate study abroad program or internship for you. You can use the ECA Program Finder to search for specific criteria for a list of programs that may interest you and will provide you basic information for you to contact the programs of your interest.
Once you’ve found a few programs that interest you, consult with your institution’s study abroad advisor. If you do not have a designated study abroad advisor on your campus, then an academic advisor may be able to assist you with the process of receiving institution approval to get academic credit for the courses you take abroad. Your campus may also have a career services office. Staff there could assist you with identifying international internship opportunities that fit your professional aspirations.
Below are some resources to assist you with your preparations to go abroad.
Departure from U.S.
It is in your best interest to review all the regulations and requirements regarding your departure from the U.S. and your entry into your host country.
In addition to your home institution’s study abroad advisor, below are some resources to assist you with your preparations to go abroad.
- U.S. Department of State USA Study Abroad – This online resource center compiled by the U.S. Department of State in support of the next generation of diverse American leaders includes links to information about U.S. government resources, funding opportunities, health and safety information and student stories.
- Students Abroad
- Travel Advisories
- Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (required for Gilman Scholars)
- Links to U.S. Embassies Abroad
- Applying for your U.S. Passport
- Emergencies and Crises
Resources for Students with Disabilities
- Mobility International USA – Empowers people with disabilities around the world to achieve their human rights through international exchange and international development.
- National Clearinghouse on Disability & Exchange – A comprehensive, one-stop resource for people with disabilities interested in study, work, intern, volunteer, research or teach abroad programs.
If you need assistance, please contact the Gilman Scholarship Program.