Below are the commitments that you are required to complete as a recipient of the Gilman International Scholarship and that you agreed to in the Gilman Terms and Conditions contract. Please note that many events and opportunities are exclusive to Gilman Scholars who have completed all requirements to become an alumnus/a of the program.
Within one month of your return from abroad all Gilman Scholars are required to submit a scholarship re-entry survey and update your contact information. You can update both within your alumni portal.
In order to become an alumnus/a of the Gilman Scholarship, all Gilman Scholars are required to carry out the Follow-on Service Project proposed in the scholarship application within six months of returning to the U.S. and submit a Follow-on Service Project report via the alumni portal.
Please log into your Gilman account to complete your required Follow-on Service Project Report/Survey. You will be asked to include a summary of your project (maximum 1,000 words) and how you think your project impacted your audience (maximum 500 words). No documents or additional materials are required to be submitted or uploaded complete your Follow-on Service Project. Additional questions will collect data on:
- Who you collaborated with on your project and it’s promotion
- How much time you spent on your project
- Who your target audience was
- Estimated number of people reached through your project
- How you promoted your project
- Challenges to completing your project
- Any updates to your project
- Any additional value from completing your project
Review the links below for resources to help you implement your Follow-on Service Project, information on submitting your report and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Gilman Program Overview – A quick reference guide to the Gilman Scholarship
- Tips for Creating Your Elevator Speech – Tips for succinctly talking about your experience abroad
- Gilman one-pagers in English and Spanish
- Gilman-McCain Scholarship one-pager
- Gilman Poster Print
- Gilman Outreach Presentation Deck – Use and tailor to your experience and audience
- Logo Usage Guidelines – Requirements to use the Gilman Program’s logo in outreach
- Frequently Asked Questions – For additional information on Follow-on Service Project implementation and reporting
To request an extension to your Follow-on Service Project Report deadline, please submit a deadline extension request under the “Follow-on Report” tab in the Gilman Alumni Portal. To complete the request, you will have to propose a new, reasonable deadline for your project and provide a brief explanation of why you require a deadline extension. Your request will be reviewed by Gilman Program staff for approval or further follow up.
To request revisions to your originally proposed Follow-on Service Project, contact email@example.com and include the reason for your revision and your new plan. Please keep in mind that your project revisions should at least still maintain the same level of effort and quality of your original proposal. Requests will be reviewed by the Gilman Program for approval.
In your request, briefly summarize your new Follow-on Service Project plan by addressing the following questions:
- Briefly outline your revised proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education.
- What is your target population?
- How will you integrate the impact of your experiences abroad into your project? What medium will you use to express your message? (ex: presentation, flyer, social media, etc.)
- What, if any, campus departments, student organizations, and/or community organizations will you collaborate with in promoting the Gilman Scholarship and international education? Have you already made contact with these groups?
Gilman alumni and scholars are encouraged to submit photos highlighting their experience abroad to the Gilman Program via firstname.lastname@example.org using the guidelines below. Please note that the Gilman Program uses photos of Gilman scholars to highlight on our website, social media, and in promotional materials such as brochures, posters, and advertisements.
If you have any further questions about the Gilman Recipient Evaluation, Follow-on Service Project & Report or Submitting Photos, please contact the Gilman Scholarship Program.
Hear from three Gilman Alumni Ambassadors about how they successfully requested project extensions and revisions, as well as ideas on how to complete an effective project while practicing social distancing. This webinar will also explain the procedure to formally request an extension or revision for your project.