Safety and Health Information
To keep you safe and healthy while you are traveling on your study abroad program, Gilman is partnering with International SOS, the world’s leading medical and travel security services company.
- International SOS benefits for Gilman scholars include up-to-date information on COVID-19 in your host country (including entry/exit requirements for travelers, testing resources, and local lockdown policies), 24/7 consultation and referral access, as well as up to 5 counseling appointments at no cost. You are automatically registered for International SOS as a Gilman Scholar.
- In addition to referral resources, we are also partnering with International SOS to support scholars in the event of an emergency. You will need to register your trip through the MyTrip feature:
- Create your one-time MyTrip profile through the dedicated Gilman program URL. Add your name, email address, phone number, and select the Gilman program from the drop-down menu provided.
- Once your MyTrip profile is set up, email your flight booking(s) to ExchangeTravel@itinerary.internationalsos.com OR manually add your travel details to your profile.
Download the International SOS App!
- One-click dialing to the closest International SOS Assistance Center
- Mobile-friendly medical and travel security information
- The latest medical and travel security alerts
- Favorite country content for navigation to your most-used information
The following steps are requirements for every Gilman Scholar, as a condition of receiving their scholarship funds.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Keep your account updated to include any changes in your program dates, locations or personal travel.
- Obtain international health insurance. Please make sure you keep your international insurance information in a safe, yet accessible location and familiarize yourself with the coverage details and claims process. If you extend your time abroad, or travel independently, it is strongly recommended that you extend your coverage to include all time abroad.
- Confirm arrival in your host program location within 72 hours of arrival. All students must log in to their Gilman account to confirm that they have arrived in their host program location.
- Provide in-country contact information within 72 hours of arrival. All Gilman Scholars are expected to provide contact information where they can be reached while in country, along with contact details for emergency contacts. This is necessary so that the Gilman Program can assist in emergency situations.
Whether in the case of a personal, regional, or national emergency, the Gilman Program is committed to equipping scholars with the tools necessary to be safe while abroad.
Gilman Scholars are required to keep the Gilman Program updated on their status in an emergency situation. If the Gilman Program has reached out to you in an emergency but hasn’t received a response, we will reach out to your program and/or emergency contacts.
In cases where a Gilman Scholar’s health and safety is immediately threatened, reach out to International SOS for immediate assistance. International SOS is available 24 hours/day, seven days/week.
In situations where a Gilman Scholar’s program is impacted or travel is involved, contact the Gilman Program immediately. We understand that there are certain emergencies where you may need to begin planning before you receive a response from us. In those cases, email as quickly as possible to inform us of the situation and a member of the Gilman team will provide additional information. Follow any instructions you receive from the State Department through your STEP account or from ISOS alerts.
In the rare occasion that the Gilman Program requires Gilman Scholars to leave a host country due to safety or security concerns, you are required to comply and follow the instructions provided. Recipients can access more information regarding health, safety, and emergency situations in the Terms and Conditions in the Gilman portal.
- International SOS: https://www.internationalsos.com/
- U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html
- U.S. Department of State Crisis Abroad: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/what-can-you-do-crisis-abroad.html
- U.S. Department of State What State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/what-state-dept-can-cant-do-crisis.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended vaccinations: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel