The Influencer Program is an opportunity for five active Gilman Scholars to document their time studying abroad in the form of short videos during their exchange program. We’re looking for creative individuals who know how to showcase their story through digital media and want to share their experience with the wider Gilman community. Participants will be able to fulfill their Follow-on-Service Project requirement through participation.
Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with short-form video editing.
- An understanding of social trends and the capacity to incorporate them into their creative process. Preference will be given to students who already create short-form Instagram Reels/”TikTok style” videos for their own social accounts.
Requirements for Participation
- Have an existing Instagram account and a following of 500+ people.
- Understands Instagram Reels/TikTok editing capacity, or knowledge of external editing platforms (i.e., Adobe Premiere, Funimate, CapCut etc.).
- Create a specified minimum of Instagram Reels during exchange dates according to the provided calendar.
- A minimum of a certain number of Instagram Reels provided while on exchange must have an academic focus (i.e., day in the life getting ready for class or internship, exciting volunteer experience, program related travel etc.).
- Provide a tip guide for specific areas – cultural adjustment, specific to country or regional study or intern/engaging with local community.
- Students will be committed to posting according to prompts calendar provided to them at the start of the program.
- The content submission schedule would range from a video every week to a video every two weeks depending on the length of the student’s exchange program.
- Content will be reviewed and considered for posting according to Gilman social media schedule and guidelines.
If you are interested in participating, in addition to answering the questions below, please submit one 90 second or under Instagram Reel formatted “day in the life” video.
- What information can you tell us about yourself and identity that provides for a unique perspective about study or intern abroad? (i.e. disability, LGBTQIA+, first-generation college student, student athlete, host community interaction while abroad, examples specific to your country or host region, non-traditional student, etc.)
- What excites you about joining this program? What stories would want to showcase through your videos?
- What dates will you be studying or interning abroad? Where?
- If you are volunteering/interning abroad, please describe the opportunity and what you hope to gain from the experience (if not, please type N/A)
- Have you ever created short-form video content for Instagram/TikTok/YouTube? (Y/N) please provide the link(s) and handles for all your social media. This is required.