In honor of the Gilman Program’s 20th Anniversary, we are celebrating two decades of leadership in equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in education abroad. With this video contest, we want to give voice to our outstanding Gilman Alumni community.
If alumni have a compelling story about their experience as a Gilman Scholar, now is the chance to share it via a dynamic and vibrant video. The video should tell their story of studying abroad as a Gilman Scholar and how their experience impacted their career and academic paths. The most compelling storyteller will receive the top prize of $5,000. Up to four additional awards of $1,000 will be given for excellent submissions that were not selected for the top prize.
The videos will be used to promote study abroad, the Gilman Scholar and to inspire outbound Gilman Scholars as a part of their pre-departure orientation. The video contest is sponsored by IIE.
Gilman 20th Anniversary Video Contest Criteria
Theme: 20 years of leadership in equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in study abroad
Prizes: Fist place will receive $5,000. Up to four additional awards of $1,000 will be given for excellent submissions that were not selected for the top prize.
Deadline: February 28, 2022 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Sub-themes: Entrants may focus on one or many sub-themes in telling their story about the impact their Gilman Scholarship Program experience has had on their lives, careers, and/or communities. Submissions should demonstrate the lasting effect studying or interning abroad as a Gilman Scholar has on the entrant’s conception of culture, diplomacy, and/or identity. Successful videos will draw a connection between an entrant’s Gilman Program experience and life path, exploring what impact studying or interning abroad has had on their identity and understanding of the world. Entrants may also explore what it means to them to be a citizen ambassador abroad and why it is important for American students to study abroad.
- Visual appeal and attention to detail
- Audio and visual quality
- The clarity and creativity in the thought process and storytelling
- How well the video conveys the impact of the Gilman Scholarship Program on the entrant’s professional or personal life
- How well the content describes what it is like to study or intern abroad, specifically as a Gilman Scholar
- Overall impression of the narrative as a positive representation of the Gilman Scholarship Program and program experience
- Containing a clear narrative structure that explores the aforementioned themes
To be eligible for prize consideration, entrants will submit:
- A 5-15 minute narrative video
- Basic program and biographical data
- Gilman Scholarship year
- Gilman Scholarship host country
- U.S. college or university attended during the Gilman Program experience
- U.S. state and hometown
- Release waiver that grants permission to the Gilman Program to use all submitted content as a whole or in parts, regardless of contest outcome